The medical industry will continue to hire medical workers no matter the economy. The best medical training may come from the military. The Army offers a military operation room specialist training that almost every hospital in America has a need. Perhaps there's no better military job opportunity like the careers found in the medical industry. Not to mention free training with benefits from the GI Bill.
One of the military’s best jobs is an operating room specialist steps in to provide basic and emergency medical treatment. The military operating room specialist assists the nursing staff in preparing the patient and the operating room(OR) environment for surgery and for providing assistance to the medical staff during surgical procedures.
They are responsible for preparing and maintaining sterile medical supplies, special equipment for medical treatment facilities and the management of operating room suites.
Some of your other duties as a military operating room specialist may include:
* Assist in preparing patients and operating room environment for surgery
* Provide assistance to the medical staff during surgical procedures to include the
* Perform various preoperative and postoperative procedures as directed
* Maintain the cleanliness of the operating room
* Receive, clean, decontaminate, sterilize, store and issue various medical supplies
* Responsible for the sterilization process
* Operate and run sterilization checks on a variety of sterilization equipment
Military’s job training for an Army Operating Room Specialist requires nine weeks of Basic Training, where you’ll learn basic Soldiering skills, and 19 weeks of Advanced Individual Training and on-the-job instruction.
Helpful attributes include:
* An interest in helping others
* An ability to talk effectively
* An ability to work under dire conditions
* An interest in psychology, general science and algebra
* Attention to specific detail
Advanced level Operating Room Specialist provides guidance, supervises and trains other Soldiers within the same discipline. As an advanced level Operating Room Specialist, you may be involved in:
* Perform circulator services under the direct supervision as required
* Sets up and operate specialized and advanced operating room equipment
* Supervise and advise subordinate personnel
MILITARY RELATED CIVILIAN CAREERS
The skills you learn as a military Army operating room specialist will help prepare you for a future with civilian hospitals, clinics, nursing homes or rehabilitation centers. With an Operating Room Specialist background, you may consider a career as a medical assistant, medication aide or physician’s assistant.